Get in touch to talk to us today about your requirements
(+44) 01452 523352
2019 Update – Looking back at our previous blog regarding operational safety in the workplace, strict HSE Guidelines are now being adhered to at a greater rate by businesses, thus safety in the workplace is improving with machinery safety guidelines and safety equipment being more commonly displayed and used.
We can only hope this improves further heading into the future with more and more businesses taking heed of the importance of safety measures for both their staff and company machinery and equipment.
How do I operate this piece of machinery correctly and safely? A question often asked by new team members or workers unfamiliar with new equipment.
In this blog we set about answering this question, looking at ways in which you can protect yourself against injuries while operating industrial machinery.
Our hydraulic power units help to power a range of applications from recycling machinery to offshore launch recovery systems and it is imperative that a worker knows how to use these applications and has been fully versed on their safety procedures.
Below, we list some common areas for workers to pay attention to before they start using machinery:
• Have a walk around the machinery itself and make sure all security guards and equipment are all present and correct. If in doubt refer to the manufacturer handbook for further clarification
• Make sure machinery is located correctly, i.e. far enough away from any customers who visit the premises and away from any communal areas to help to ensure that safety measures are adhered to and to cut the risk of accidents occurring
• Ensure the machinery is seated properly if it is a static unit and there are no loose bolts or connections which could cause the unit to shift once it has been started up
• All equipment should carry the CE mark, so ensure this is present on the machine you will be using as any failure to comply with these regulations could mean the unit is not fit for purpose and should not be used
• Any workers who will be required to operate the machinery should have the correct operational and safety training beforehand, so if any hazardous situation was to arise, it could be dealt with safely and effectively
• In the operational area there should be sufficient first aid equipment close to hand should an emergency situation arise and workers should be briefed as to where this equipment is and what is comprises of so swift action can be taken if needed
• Ensure that any hazards that could cause trips or falls are removed from the vicinity of the equipment and the area is kept clean and tidy at all times
In addition to the above safety factors, provision should be taken for safety equipment such as safety goggles, gloves and hard hats where needed to ensure workers are guarded as best they can from injury.
Other things to remember regarding what not to do when operating machinery safely include:
• Workers operating the machinery should aim their focus on the job itself and not allow themselves to be distracted by other workers which could easily lead to an accident
• Loose clothing or jewellery should not be worn whilst operating machinery as this could get caught in the system mechanism and has the potential to cause serious injury
• Machinery with warning notices or danger signs which imply that the machinery should not be used should be heeded by workers and any fixes needing to be made should be carried out by an qualified mechanic with experience of that particular system
A Beginner’s Guide to Hydraulic Power UnitsHPUs deliver mechanical force that is produced thou...
Lorries and other transportation vehicles are the backbone of the logistics industry – without larg...
As we sympathise regularly with our readers, running hydraulic systems can be very costly. Not only ...
Useful Hints for the Maintainers of General HydraulicsTo make the best of your hydraulic systems and...
When it comes to piston pumps, here at Hydraproducts we generally more experienced with pressure com...
Although there has recently been a change to the political standing of the UK with regards to its me...
Connect with us on social media or eBay