Hydraulic Tipping Equipment
Hydraulic tipping equipment is used on construction and commercial dumper trucks of all shapes and sizes. If sized correctly, properly installed and maintained, 12/24VDC powered hydraulic tipping equipment will provide many years of reliable service.
Principle of operation:
To raise the bed the motor drives the pump from a 12 or 24V battery via a cab switch or pendant, the pump generates pressure in the line and extends the cylinder(s).
When the motor stops the pressure is held in the cylinder and this holds the body up.
To lower, a solenoid activated lowering valve is energised allowing the oil in the pressure line to flow into the tank under the weight of the tipper truck body. To control the speed of descent an adjustable flow control valve may be fitted in the line.
Hydraulic Power Pack
Hydraulic tipping systems components
- DC brushed drive motor with starter solenoid switch. Popular sizes range from 1.5kW to 2.2kW with 3kW 24VDC fan cooled motors for heavy duty applications such as an agricultural tipper.
- Gear Pump with outputs from 2.0cc to 4.2cc/rev capable of pressures up to 250 bar.
- Central manifold containing relief valve, check valve and the lowering valve assembly. If required the lowering valve can be fitted with manual override in case of electrical failure.
- Oil tank in plastic or steel.
Hydraulic tipping kits often contain a 3 stage-telescopic ram and brackets. These are designed specifically for each dump truck body.
- A hand held push button pendant is often the chosen method of control, as well as a cab mounted switch set.
- Essential to the safety of the installation will be a battery isolator and fuse.
- A correctly specified and fitted hose is essential, as the hose will “rotate” as the hydraulic lifting body rises. A 2-wire 3/8” hose is recommended.